Friday, October 30, 2009

10 Questions for Amanda Palmer

Amanda Palmer is, really, indescribable. A living statue, actress, writer, singer, musician, yoga enthusiast... the list goes on and on. When asked to describe what kind of band her group, The Dresden Dolls, were she called them "Brechtian punk cabaret" and left it at that. When her record label wanted to cut some shots of her stomach out of a music video because they thought she looked fat, she inspired her fans into what they later termed a "ReBellyon", bombarding the company with e-mails, calls and pictures of their own less than perfect abdomens.
Clearly we are not dealing with just some rock star here. Nor just some writer or popular blogger. Amanda Palmer is a new breed of talent. eGO.com was lucky enough to get a sliver of her time just days before she set off for China and disappeared off the grid. With no further delay:

Ten Questions for Amanda Palmer

1. As a successful artist, singer and cabaret force of nature how do you actualize your dreams?


I simply grapple on an every morning basis with the fact that nothing will manifest perfectly. Then I leave the house at top speed and regret nothing.


2. What are the greatest obstacles you have faced in doing this?


My own expectations. And fear.


3. When creating/songwriting do you just start and let the piece "find" itself or do you plan meticulously to "discover" what you want to do?


It's different for every project. And song. Sometimes I simply let things go wild and pare down afterwards, and sometimes I build bit by bit with anal precision . Usually the former. I'm better at that, I think. And I like doing what I do better.


4. What is your overall goal, as an artist?


I don't have one. Do other people? How terrifying. If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably say that it's no different from my overall goal in life: being present.


5. What is the most courageous thing you've ever done, as an artist or "just" as a person?


Leaving the band and going solo. That was hard. Massive paycuts.


6. How do you decide that something is "finished"?


When there's no possible way I can improve it, even if it's not perfect.


7. LOFNOTC- Explain.


Losers Of Friday Night On Their Computers. It started one Friday on Twitter and I found thousands of other losers out there online. We started a movement. With goals to get the government to issue us vodka, pizza and sweatpants. I love twitter.


8. Please share your favorite bit of wisdom (learned or heard) with us?


My mentor Anthony, taught me this one: honor those who seek the truth, beware of those who've found it.


9. When it comes to knowledge, which do you feel is stronger, learned wisdom or inherent sense?


Inherent sense will tell you to incorporate your learning, so I think that one trumps.


10. What are you working on next?


My next big project is the Evelyn Evelyn record, a concept album by two conjoined twin sisters that I produced with my friend Jason Webley. Cythia Von Buhler is making some wonderful art for the album and also working on a graphic novel to be released after the record. After that? World takeover.


More Info:
Amanda Palmer has released six albums in the the last seven years, five with the Dresden Dolls and one as a solo artist, she has written or co-written three books and has tweeted over Forty-Five hundred times.


Links
http://amandapalmer.net - blog, music and more

http://www.postwartrade.com - find all sorts of Dresden dolls and Amanda Palmer inspired items

http://twitter.com/amandapalmer
- join Amanda's over 150,000 followers on Twitter.com.

1 comment: