Friday, October 23, 2009

10 Questions for Cynthia von Buhler

Posted at eGO.com this morning:

Cynthia von Buhler is a successful author, artist and performer. Her work is internationally known and award winning, while still wholly very much her own- from children's books to art installations to a machine that gives you a real, biological bit of her for a quarter, all of her work shines through with a fierce individuality and insight.
Here at eGO.com we strive to help others reach their goals and keep their flames of independence alive. We try to make inspiration and success-plans that are easy to use and access so that people don't get discouraged when faced with the fast-paced, often cruel, world of the Twenty-First century. What better way than by finding out how a true eGO-centric success has reached her goals and accomplished so much. With that in mind we have here:

10 Questions for Cynthia von Buhler

1. As a successful artist, author and sculptor how do you actualize your dreams?


I have a constant stream of ideas. In order to remember them I make daily lists and plans. It feels good when I check things off my list. I usually create these lists in the bathtub when I am relaxed with a clear mind and a relaxed body.



2. What are the greatest obstacles you have faced in doing this?


Time. There is not enough time to do everything I desire, I always feel like time is running out....and it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2B8oZwVKro



3. When creating do you just start and let the piece "find" itself or do you plan meticulously to "discover" what you want to do?


I usually have a strong plan, but I am not afraid to veer off course when I'm executing.



4. What is your overall goal, as a artist?


To share who I am and how I think with the world. With my books I hope to teach children to be become better, more thoughtful, adults.


5. What is the most courageous thing you've ever done, as an artist or "just" as a person?


Placing live cockroaches on my face for a self-portrait photograph was pretty damn courageous. It later appeared on the cover of Gallery Guide NY, so I guess it was worth it. I am a strong believer in trying to do those things which you most fear. This is the best way to conquer fear. I am actually an agoraphobic, believe it or not. I am also a control freak, so I have this fear under control (most of the time). Doing performance art is an odd thing for an agoraphobic, but you'd be surprised at how many people in the spotlight are actually quite fearful.


6. How do you decide that something is "finished"?


When I'm working on an art piece I get to a point somewhere mid-way where I say to myself: "Okay this doesn't suck anymore, this is now good." Once I pass that level it isn't much farther to the: "This is complete - move on" phase.

It goes like this:

Phase 1: Idea. Phase 2: Struggle. Phase 3: "It doesn't suck anymore" (if I do not get to this phase I must start from the beginning, but 95% of the time I get pass this phase). Phase 4: Looking Good. Phase 5: Complete. Phase 6: Next!



7. Your most recent book, "But Who Will Bell the Cats" just got nominated for a Cybil award, does that kind of recognition feel like validation or is it just a bonus?


I'm never satisfied. It's tough to be inside me; I tell myself: "Is that it girl? You can do better than that!" I appreciate the recognition though....for about 2 seconds.



8. Please share your favorite bit of wisdom (learned or heard) with us?


It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice. - by William Lincoln Tisdale (my dear friend who died of AIDS in the 90s)



9. When it comes to knowledge, which do you feel is stronger, learned wisdom or inherent sense?


Inherent sense, Hands down. There are many book smart people out there who are complete idiots.



10. What are you working on next?


Currently, I'm collaborating on a Graphic Novel with the wonderful musicians Amanda Palmer and Jason Wembley. It is about conjoined twins who have a really f**ked up life. The working title is Evelyn Evelyn: A Terrible Tale in Two Tomes. It will be released by Dark Horse Comics next Fall. I'm writing my next book: a surreal chapter book. I'm working on a plan to make stop-motion animations of my stories with the talented Christiane Cegavske. I'm writing ideas for children's TV shows. I'm scouting locations for film, TV and photo shoots (We just shot one of the recent winners of American Idol at one of my locations, and my house is currently being considered for a tv shoot with a live elephant). I'm rescuing animals whenever one in need crosses my path. I'm doing book signings and school appearances (see the link below). I'm the host of a 16 year girl from Thailand for the 2009-2010 school year. I'm continuing my solo exhibit at The Nassau County Museum of Art until Jan 3, 2010. I'm trying to give my darling husband some attention during all of this.


I just signed with The Gotham Group, a film, TV, and literary agency, so that should help with a few of the above tasks.



More Info:
Cynthia von Buhler’s work has been compared to a trip down an ornate rabbit hole. She is an internationally known and award-winning author and artist. Her three-dimensional works have been displayed in galleries and museums around the world, as well as in books, magazines, and newspapers. She shares her home with her husband, eight cats, one dog, seven doves, and an unknown number of mice living below the floorboards.
(PS: Her birthday is this Sat. the 24th, So wish her a happy one on Facebook or on twitter, @cynthvonbuhler)


Links
http://cynthiavonbuhler.com - painting, sculpture, past and recent press http://butwhowillbellthecats.com - latest book

http://catbooktour.blogspot.com - touring and exhibitions

No comments:

Post a Comment