Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Story Behind the Article

If any of you are reading my new eGO article, "Nothing Personal, But..." you might find that it's a bit more intense than the usual, a bit maudlin maybe.
Well, what happened is this; I had a departmental meeting tonight and I basically got told off for not following all the procedures and schedules that the school had provided. Now it doesn't matter that each time I deviated I asked my Dept. Head, who always approved them, because he was the one telling me off. His excuse was that he misunderstood me and that the sort of things I was doing were so out there that he obviously couldn't have thought I meant that because he wouldn't have let me do that for a second.
Get the picture? I could go on all night about this but the point is in my article. I sat down on the train and thought it out. What he was asking me to do wasn't really a bad idea and it would help the school out. Why should I be the maverick out of spite? The fact is, the way the school wants stuff done could turn out to be better for my students (I doubt it, but stranger things have happened!). Even if it's not better for them, I realized, it wouldn't actually be worse, so why not do it?
The only reason I had was my personal embarrassment and shame. I realized that both those emotions were actually fueled by my pride and, voila! An article is born!

PS: I'm especially proud of the image I chose for the article. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment